Skip Navigation and Go To Content

Risk Management Home

The Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) program ensures the presence of systems to minimize the frequency and severity of personnel and property losses. Additionally RMI maintains cost-effective risk financing mechanisms as well as keeps institutional leadership apprised of the levels of risk retention and the costs of risk transfer.  RMI’s three product lines are Workers’ Compensation, Property Insurance (real business property and fleet), and Business Continuity Planning.

EHS Main Office 713-500-8100 (answered M-F, 8:00AM-5:00PM CST)
EHS Hotline 713-500-5832  (after hours, weekends, holiday for the on-call safety specialist)
For Emergencies, Dial UT Police Dispatch 713-792-2890 or 911

Workers' Compensation Insurance and Injury Reporting

Workers’ Compensation is a program that provides medical and income benefits to employees injured during the course and scope of employment. UTHealth provides these benefits on behalf of all employees including faculty, staff, and residents. If you or an employee you supervise has an on-the-job injury medical care should be found through the IMO Network unless it’s an emergency. When necessary medical attention is provided please complete Supervisor's First Report Packet (pdf). Students are covered under their personal insurance, however RMI would like any injured students to complete Supervisor's First Report Packet (pdf). Reporting work related injuries and illness insures proper accident investigation and possible development of mitigation strategies to reduce accident recidivism.

Workers’ Compensation by Classification

Workers' Compensation IMO Med-Select Health Care Network

Workers’ Compensation Forms

Workers' Compensation Links

Workers' Compensation Coverage for Out-of-State or Out-of-Country Employees

Most UT Health Science Center at Houston employees receive Texas-specific Workers' Compensation insurance coverage through the UT System self-administered plan. Health science center faculty or staff stationed out of state or in another country may require coverage under a separate workers' compensation policy since some states or countries do not accept the self-administered plan.


Out-of-State Employee
One whose permanent home and work address is located in another state or nation, whether the office is newly set-up or has been in existence for a long time.
An employee hired in Texas for a new office in Washington, D.C., for example, where that person will live.

In-State Employee — One who travels outside of Texas for a limited assignment, but keeps Texas as a home base and intends to return to Texas — even if an out-of-state residence is set up temporarily.

Risk Management and Insurance must be alerted if someone in your department falls within out-of-state or out-of-country categories — as detailed above, so the health science center can provide the correct insurance coverage for our employees. Please contact Sondra Faul, (713) 500-8127, with information about any employees who may fall into an out-of-state or out-of-country category.

Guest, Visitors Incident Form

All Guest/Visitors who need to report an incident taking place on UT Health property should use this form. All Employees/Medical Residents/Student should continue to use the Supervisors’ First Report of Injury.

UTHealth Visitor Incident form (pdf)
UTPhysicians Visitor Incident form (pdf)

Travel Requirements for International Locations

All travel requirements are handled through University Travel.

Please follow this link for International Travel Information.

Please follow this link for other types of travel.

Special Events Insurance

For Special Events Insurance contact RMI at 713-500-8133 or 713-500-8100

Healthcare Credentialing

All healthcare credentialing requests should be sent to  For questions, please call Catherine Thompson, Healthcare Risk Manager at (713) 500-3281 [direct] or (713) 500-3268 [main].

Property Insurance

UTHealth’s property insurance program is administered by UT System and managed at UTHealth by Risk Management and Insurance.  The Comprehensive Property Protection Program (CPPP) is constructed of two “towers”, Fire and All other Perils (AOP) and Wind and Flood (W&F).  All UTHealth property is insured but under the CPPP it has an associated $500,000 per occurrence deductible.  Most losses experienced at UTHealth are below the $500,000 per occurrence deductible.  UTHealth offers additional property insurance, equipment floater, that effectively “buys down” the deductible. 

The vast majority of UTHealth’s losses are “retained losses.” These are losses that are below the $500,000 deductible.  What are the three most common retained loss perils (Word document).

Equipment Floater Policies
It is possible to “buy down” the UTHealth deductible of $500,000 per occurrence by purchasing additional insurance.  This additional insurance can be purchase for $1.00 per $100 of insured value.  For example if a laboratory purchased a microscope for $5,000 and insured the microscope under the equipment floater policy the premium would be $50 per year.  Once the premium is paid and a covered loss occurs, depending on the equipment, the per occurrence deductible is between $1500 and $2500. 

The financial decision to purchase additional insurance for certain types of equipment is based on a financial recovery formula, that suggests the purchase of additional insurance if the total value of the asset after purchasing five years’ worth of premium and the associated deductible is greater than 70% of the assets original value.  Although depreciation, revenue created by the asset, loss frequency and severity, and inflation should also be considered when purchasing additional coverage, this formula provides a quick snapshot of asset valuation versus premium and deductible cost. 

The financial recovery formula is:

financial recovery formula   

Property FAQ

  1. Who do I report a loss to?
    • Risk Management and Insurance would be the best place to report any losses to.  However, RMI may by only one of many agencies and departments involved in a loss, depending on frequency and severity. 
  2. What is a “peril”?
    • A peril is something that could cause a loss.  Examples include fire, flood, and named windstorm.
  3. What is the deductible?
    • A deductible is a portion of the loss that is retained by the insured.  The insured is UTHealth and the deductible for property is $500,000.  If a loss occurs the deductible may be the responsibility of the affected department.
  4. What is a retained loss?
    • A retained loss is a loss that is less than the UTHealth deductible $500,000.


Fleet and Miscellaneous Insurance

Fleet insurance includes two types of coverages comprehensive and collision.  Collision provides basic coverage for UTHealth vehicles and meets the State of Texas minimum vehicle insurance requirements.  Collision is required on all UTHealth vehicles.  Comprehensive coverage is an elective coverage, required for leased vehicles, for new vehicles and provides “full coverage” for most losses that could be experienced by a UTHealth vehicle.  RMI also manages other insurance programs such as Fine Arts and Endowment.

Fleet Management
UTHealth’s fleet is comprised of vehicles that are owned by UTHealth, leased, rented, or owned by employees’ and used for UTHealth business.  Each type of ownership within UTHealth’s fleet operation may require distinct risk financing programs to mitigate   All operators of UTHealth vehicles are required to complete a UTHealth Mileage log (Word Doc).  Each operator should return the UTHealth Mileage log to RMI monthly. The UTHealth Mileage log reporting is a state requirement and is auditable by various state agencies.

Fleet Management Forms
Auto Insurance Matrix(pdf) 
Vehicle Request Form (Excel document) 
Insurance Coverage 
ESRP for Vehicle Accidents (Word document) 
UTHealth Mileage log (Word doc)

Guidelines for Driving UTHealth Vehicles (Word document) 

Fleet FAQ

  1. How do I become a UT driver?
    • Fax RMI a copy of your driver’s license to 713-500-8111.  UTHealth will perform a driver history check.  The check takes approximately 48 hours.  When the driver check is completed and the driver passes the check, the driver will be required to take an online driver training course. 
  2. How do I purchase fleet insurance?
    • Contact RMI for purchase of insurance.
  3. Where do I turn in UTHealth Mileage log?
    • Send all Vehicle Use Report Log to OCB 1.330.
  4. Where can I get new UTHealth Mileage log?
    • Contact RMI at 713-500-8100 and a book of UTHealth Mileage logs will be sent interoffice mail.
  5. What happens if I get in an accident?

RMI Staff

Bryan Evans, Risk Management and Insurance

Bryan Evans, MBA, ARM, MAC
Risk & Emergency Preparedness Manager
(713) 500-8133
OCB 1.330 G

B.S. Hotel & Restaurant Management, University of Houston
Masters of Business Administration, University of Houston

Sondra Faul, Senior Claims & Insurance Analyst Sondra Faul, NPC, CIC, ARM
Claims & Insurance Analyst
Licensed TX WC Adjuster 
(713) 500-8127
OCB 1.330 H
CIC, Certified Insurance Counselor

BS, Interdisciplinary Studies, University of Houston-Downtown